Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Dad

I just went and visited my family in New York. My Dad is in Hospice at St. John's Hospital in Rochester. Last May he was diagnosed with Glioblastoma, brain cancer. It was inoperable and he underwent chemotherapy all summer. It looked like it was working because in September the MRI showed the tumor had shrunk. We were so excited for him! Then he developed blood clots in his lungs and legs and they had to stop treatment. Unfortunately his body is too weak to continue treatment and last month he was given 4-8 weeks to live. How sad we all are. I had a great opportunity to go and say good-bye to him. I cannot begin to describe the touching memories I will hold forever so dear in my heart. I know my Dad will soon be free from this awful illness and will see my brother, Craig again.

My sisters, Ashley and Kari, and me with my Dad, Gary DeRue.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, my friend :-). This was a really touching picture. I'm so glad you got to take this trip home. You've had a lot of tough trials lately. I'm proud of you for surviving them all. You're strong, and I know your family appreciates your stregth (as I do!!). The pictures of Halloween and the Fair looked like so much fun! What a great tradition! I'm impressed the kiddos prefer going to the Fair--rather than trick-or-treating! You and Johnny must make-up for it with other fun snacks there at the fair :-). What great memories they'll have. Please call if you need a listening ear. Lots of luv. Jules

    ReplyDelete